Postcode: 4178 | Distance to CBD: 24 km
Welcome to Wynnum West
Just minutes away from the bay, Wynnum West is a popular suburb reflected in its considerable development over recent years. Wynnum Plaza Shopping Centre with KMart, Coles and Woolworths is centrally located in Wynnum Road and Wynnum Golf Course is just a little further down the road. With the suburbs of Wynnum and Manly right next door, residents of Wynnum West have countless facilities including bayside parks, walking and cycling paths, swimming pools, the Wynnum Library, shops and schools. There are regular bus services as well as nearby train stations at Lindum and Wynnum and it's an easy drive to the city via Wynnum Road.
Wynnum West is about 24km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 43% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 35% are couples without children. Stand alone houses account for 82% of all dwellings in this area, with townhouses accounting for a further 12%. Wynnum West is one suburb inland from the bay and popular with retirees and older residents.
Wynnum Plaza on Wynnum Road is perfect for your weekly grocery run – or for something different, check out Manly Harbour Village.
13 km east of the Brisbane CBD.
Close to Moreton Bay and Wynnum Hospital
About 13 kilometres from Brisbane's CBD and about 25 minutes by car (more in peak hour), Wynnum West, like its neighbouring suburb of Manly West, is attracting buyers who are looking for relatively affordable, quality housing by the bay. Over 50 per cent of houses accommodate families and retirees and older residents who make up the majority of the population. A wide cross section of couples and families are being attracted by the extensive redevelopment around the waterfront precinct and the inspired streetscaping around the Wynnum and Manly areas.
As demand has increased the services and amenities around Wynnum West have adapted ensuring new and existing residents are well serviced by commercial and retail precincts, public transport and local amenities. Train services (to the Brisbane CBD - approximately 35 minutes) and regular bus routes incorporating the surrounding suburbs ensure that residents can get around easily without private transport.
The Wynnum Hospital is located in Whites Road, Wynnum and residents are serviced by plenty of public and private schools (approximately six primary, two secondary, six kindergartens.) The closest TAFE is at Alexandra Hills approximately 10 minutes away from Wynnum West. The suburb has access to all the major supermarket and retail chains; there is also Manly Harbour Shopping Village and street shopping available. Local shopping villages and nurseries are also plentiful in the area.
In neighbouring suburbs, Capalaba Shopping Centre and Carindale are within 10 to 15 minutes. The area comes alive during the summer months with plenty of bike and walk ways, a community swimming pool and a well-maintained seawater wading pool, as well as many outdoor activities such as canoeing, rollerblading, and biking (all available for hire). With very little land remaining, renovation of older homes and cottages are becoming more popular with homebuyers wanting the bay-side lifestyle.
The Wynnum area was occupied by the Winnam (meaning 'pandanus') people. They lived a semi-nomadic lifestyle with several campsites within their area and adjacent islands. The coast and river provided abundant seafood. Pandanus, bangwall (fern root) and other plants were eaten and small animals were hunted, particularly the flying foxes on St Helena Island, where inter-tribal feasts and corroborees appear to have taken place.
As settlement grew, the aborigines were confined to the coastal fringes. After white settlement, some aborigines continued to work in the area - Edward Kelk applied for permission to employ several. By the 1870s, closer settlement around Brisbane was making this outskirts living impossible. The main destroyers of the Moreton Bay Aborigines were new diseases brought about though contact with the white population. Diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous decimated the indigenous population.
The growth of Wynnum West was bound up with the development of the adjoining suburbs of Wynnum, Lytton and Hemmant. It grew originally as a farming region, with grains, fruit, small crops and viticulture taking place. In addition, sugar was grown in the Lindum area. W. Poynton was the first person to take up land in this area. Settlers in the area were involved in farming, viticulture and, in the Lindum area, sugar growing and milling. After the decline of sugar growing in southern Queensland, general farming and dairying became the most important occupations.
Various developments and subdivisions took place in the 1880s and 1890s. In 1889 there was a Crown auction of large farming or timber getting blocks and the Glencoe Estate, near Lindum Station offered small residential blocks for sale. The following year, the land west of Kianawah road was sold in five-acre farming blocks in the Wecker Estate.
In 1915 Wynnum North Fruit Farms Estate offered small farm size blocks along Wynnum road opposite the Golf Course. These were advertised as suitable for custard apples, pineapples and mangoes. In 1922 Wynnum West State School opened. After the Second World War, there was a great deal of settlement, and the primarily rural area became increasingly residential as new estates were developed and sold. Further development in the last decades of twentieth century has meant that the rural nature of Wynnum West has been altered and the Wynnum region has become a part of Greater Brisbane.
Charles Coxen was a contractor and speculator. In 1854, he let a tender to sink a coal shaft at Bulimba and also offered seven hundred acres on Bulimba Creek for agistment. They owned a great deal of land around Brisbane, including over 300 acres in Hemmant and Lindum. In 1860, Charles Coxen became a member of the first Queensland parliament, and Chairman of Committees.
The Coxen family lived in a large stone house in Cannon Hill, which was called at various times ‘The Quarries' and ‘the Terraces'. Charles Coxen was a keen gardener and laid out large grounds with sweeping terraces down to the river. The house had broad views of the river and bay. Later Sir Thomas McIlwraith, the premier of Queensland, owned the property, which he further improved. After his death it was untenanted, and rented, until it was knocked down when Swift International built their meatworks in 1913.
Edward Kelk migrated from Lincolnshire in the 1850s. With his two brothers he bought land near Hemmant and named their property Lindum-mere after the Roman name for Lincoln. Edward stayed there after his brothers moved to New South Wales and married Mary Elizabeth Brooks in 1869. In that year they built a large house, not far from Pleasantville.
The Kelks built Kianawah sugar mill in the 1860s and pioneered the growing of sugar in the area. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Methodist Church in the area, providing Sunday school lessons under a tree in Hemmant until it was. John Balfour arrived in Queensland in the first year of free settlement, 1842. He was one of the first Queensland squatters and ran sheep and cattle in the Brisbane Valley and in the 1860s he purchased four blocks in Wynnum West and Wynnum. He became a member of the Legislative Council and was Robert Louis Stevenson’s uncle. He retired to London.
The region of Lindum was named after the house and property of Edward Kelk. Lindum-mere, which comes from Lindum the Latin name for Lincoln. It was a large airy house, situated near Lindum station, with views west to Whites Hill and Mt Coot-tha. Ornate gates stood at the entry to a large circular drive. Wynnum West State School was opened in 1922. In 1916 a meeting of the West Wynnum and West Manly Progress and Fruit Growers' Association was held at Unsworth’s store to elect a Building Committee and make application for a school specialising in teaching agriculture.
Following the District Inspector’s report in 1917, 9 acres of land was purchased from Dr W. Taylor for 170 pounds, but due to the First World War effort and the curtailment of public spending, building on the school was postponed. The Building Committee arranged various working bees to clear the land ready for building and continued to make deputations to the Department for Public Instruction. In 1921, the funds were made available for the school and it was opened in May 1922. Henry Vowles was the first principal and Dorothy Skulthorp was his deputy and infants teacher. The school opened with 57 students enrolled but by the end of the year this had increased to 97.
Wynnum Road is the main arterial road linking Brisbane and the Wynnum-Manly area. Originally the road closer to Brisbane was called Bulimba Rd and further out was called Wynnum Road or Lytton Road. When the bridge was built over the mouth of Norman Creek in 1856, Wynnum Road became a faster way to get to Cleveland and so the former became known as the Cleveland Road. Wynnum Road was known as Cleveland Road until the 1950s. In 1863, a parliamentary report declared the road was impassable and travellers had to go by private land all the way.
Reference: K. Harbison, BRISbites, 2000