Postcode: 4179 | Distance to Brisbane CBD: 13km
Welcome to Manly West
Manly West is a popular suburb set just back from its bayside neighbours of Manly and Lota and therefore a little closer to the city. It has its own train station, state school and shops in addition to a large range of facilities in neighbouring suburbs. There are many parks and recreational areas and the bay is only minutes away. There's also a swimming pool open in the summer months next to the boat harbour in nearby Manly.
Manly West is about 13km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 47% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 35% are couples without children. Stand alone house account for 87% of all dwellings in this area, with townhouses accounting for a further 10%. Manly West is one suburb inland from the bay and the most common style of housing in the area is modern, low-set brick houses.
This area has small local shops that you can pick up your day-to-day essentials from – try Preston Road or Caloundra Street - and Wynnum Plaza in Wynnum West is nearby for your regular grocery run.
Darren says: Gathering a great blend of old and new with the added benefit of coastal walkways for all to enjoy.
13 km from CBD.
Proximity to Moreton Bay, Manly West rail station
Close to Moreton Bay and about 20 to 25 minutes (more in peak hour traffic) from the Brisbane CBD along Wynnum Road, Manly West has attracted a variety of residents wanting the bay-side lifestyle without the Manly price tag. With very little land left in close proximity to the waterfront, homebuyers wanting the bay-side lifestyle are attracted by Manly West's close proximity to the bay and reasonable prices. While most opt to renovate older homes and cottages, for those who have set their sights on a new home, the Manly Panorama residential estate is located at Hargreaves Road.
Manly West is serviced by train (to the Brisbane CBD - approximately 35 minutes) and regular bus routes incorporating the surrounding suburbs.The Wynnum Hospital is located in Whites Road, Wynnum. There are plenty of public and private schools (approximately six primary, two secondary, six kindergartens). The closest TAFE is at Alexandra Hills approximately 10 minutes away from Wynnum.
The suburb has access to all the major supermarket and retail chains; there is also Manly Harbour Shopping Village and street shopping available. Nurseries are also plentiful in the area. In neighbouring suburbs, Capalaba Shopping Centre and Carindale are within 10-15 minutes. The area comes alive during the summer months with plenty of bike and walkways, community swimming pool and a well-maintained seawater wading pool, as well as many outdoor activities such as canoeing, rollerblading, and biking (all available for hire).
The Manly area may have been occupied by Mipirimm people. They lived a semi-nomadic lifestyle with several campsites within their area and adjacent islands. The coast and creeks provided abundant seafood, pandanus, bangwall (fern root) and other plants were eaten. Small mammals and birds were hunted, particularly the flying foxes on St Helena Island, where inter-tribal feasts and corroborees appear to have taken place.
As settlement grew the aborigines were confined to the coastal fringes. While agriculture was not possible, the good fishing and hunting meant they could survive. The area of the Manly Hotel, however was open ground where many aborigines still camped. By the 1870s closer settlement around Brisbane was making this outskirts living impossible. The main destroyers of the Moreton Bay Aborigines were new diseases brought about though contact with the white population. Diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous decimated the indigenous population.
The development of Manly West is integrally tied to that of Manly. It was officially bounded in 1975, but before that it existed as an extension of Manly. Original landowners included Robert Hancock, and R G W Herbert, who owned large farm blocks. Fruit and crops were grown and sugar was introduced in the 1860s, when Preston's sugar mill operated on Preston Road and Dawsons had a mill on Manly Road.
Subdivision and development occurred later here than in Manly proper, and the region remained primarily rural while Manly became semi-residential and a popular holiday and day-tripper destination.
In 1906 Pineapple Estate, between Manly Road and Kamaran Streets, offered small acreage blocks ranging from 1 acre to 12 acres. Spring Gardens Estate between Hargreaves Rd and Wondall Road offered similar properties and later, the Big Block Estate on the eastern edge of the suburb still offered farming blocks. Farming, particularly of fruit (for Hargreaves factory) and strawberries, continued to be important for many decades. Close development followed the spread of Manly and by 1917, the Graveson and Blue Wave Estates had developed smaller residential blocks along the high ridge and on Rolles Hill.
Further development and subdivision took place after the Second World War, and in 1958, Manly West State School opened to cater for this booming population. From the 1970s to the 1990s even further developments have filled in many of the large areas of farming land in the suburb, so Manly West is primarily a residential area now, except on the fringes.
George Cooling sailed into Manly in an old boat around 1900. He lived in the boat until it fell apart, and he then lived near Manly State School. Later he bought a large block of land called Guiley’s Paddock on Whites Road. He made his living out of taking photographs of people from Capalaba to Cannon Hill. He built his own motorbike and sidecar and navigated through the often-perilous roads and cross-country on these. His nickname, ‘Dirty George? came from his aversion to washing. He travelled around taking photographs, often in exchange for a meal, and he reportedly built an airplane out of scrap, which he flew into the top of a large tree.
John Hargreaves was born at Farsley, England, in 1845. He trained as a wool mill operator and immigrated to Australia in 1872, where he worked in mills in Victoria. He started a shop and a small jam making business there and in 1886 he came to Brisbane and set up a store and jam factory at Breakfast Creek. By 1892 he had bought 320 acres (130 hectares) and built a jam factory at ‘The Springs’. They soon had 50 acres under fruit, irrigated by water from the spring, and in 1893 started a cannery to can pineapple. After the death of his first wife, he retired to Manly and later married again. In 1921 it was established as a public company.
In 1860 John Dawson began opening the land up on Manly Road for sugar cane. He established a sugar mill there and called the property “Woondall”.
John Hargreaves built the jam factory in 1892. It was built to make use of the water from a large spring that overflowed its well into a lagoon. Many people from Wynnum, Manly and districts were employed in the factory, and many men remember working at Hargreaves factory on the school holidays, when they were children. It later became Hargreaves and Sons and then in 1921 a limited liability company was formed. It also canned fruit and vegetables and these became the major output.
The Hargreaves Family owned most of the shares until they sold out to the Watmore family in 1936. Later it was sold to Petersville who changed the name to Edgell-Birds Eye in 1969. Simplott, an American company, bought it and it closed down in 1999.
Lota Creek flows into Moreton Bay/Tingalpa Creek at Lota and has developed on the alluvial plain there. Lota Creek is a small creek with a wide and diverse catchment area. Most of the area is primarily coastal or wetland, including extensive salt flat mangroves at the mouth of the creek. Some areas are still original bushland, but most are grazing land or residential. The creek is particularly important because it forms a corridor between Bulimba and Tingalpa Creeks. Many wader and water birds frequent the area, as do other mammals and reptiles that were originally endemic near Brisbane but now are rare (10 species of frog, 173 birds, 14 mammals and 20 reptiles).
Manly West State School opened in January 1958 with James Williamson acting as the principal until the arrival of David Alexander in July. It opened on nine acres with a four-classroom wing and an administration block. Approximately 150 pupils attended the first day, but within ten years it had grown to over 600.
Reference: K. Harbison, BRISbites, 2000