Location: 17km to Brisbane CBD | Postcode: 4179
Manly is 17 Km from Brisbane CBD the eastern most bayside suburb of Brisbane City, a small suburb by area that is popular with boating families and couples without children. It has a higher proportion of persons over 40 years of age, professional workers and university educated persons than the Queensland average. The suburb is set on a hillside overlooking Moreton Bay, with a sheltered harbour featuring one of the largest marinas in Queensland and an Esplanade that is popular for dog walking and cycling. Many properties enjoy spectacular views, and all enjoy the bay breezes that attract kite surfing and sailboating. The area is served by a commuter rail service, and is near to quality schools including Moreton Bay College. Manly is also a hub of restaurants and cafes and regular markets. The Gateway Arterial is also close, providing ready access to the north and south coasts, and the airport for business travellers and visitors. In 2011, 67% of the homes in Manly were owner-occupied. At the end of 2015 the median sale price of houses in the area was $930,000. Capital growth of homes in the suburb has been 13% in the past year. In 2016 there were 121 properties sold in Manly.
Welcome to Manly
The bayside suburb of Manly is instantly recognisable by the masts of yachts moored in the boat harbour at the southern tip of the Esplanade next to Manly Harbour Village. Manly is especially popular on weekends when Brisbane residents take the short trip to the Manly area to go fishing or boating, shop at the markets, picnic in the park, dine out, swim at the pool or simply walk along the foreshore enjoying the sea breeze. Neighbouring Wynnum has a large shopping centre and library as well as many other attractions and the suburbs are so closely connected they are often referred to by the combined name Wynnum-Manly.
Manly is about 17km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 43% of households in this area are comprised of couples without children and a further 37% are couples with children. Stand alone houses account for 67% of all dwellings in this area, with townhouses accounting for a further 10%.
This area has small local shops that you can pick up your day-to-day essentials from – try Preston Road or Caloundra Street - and Wynnum Plaza in Wynnum West is nearby for your regular grocery run.
Bronwyn says: Manly is a place for everything. Whether you like to have a picnic with the family, parties, bike ride, fish, sail, dinner, browse at markets, the list goes on. Manly is a place for everyone in the family. It can be a quiet place to relax or a place to meet people and have a few quiet drinks. It is a place that I will always call home.
20km east of Brisbane CBD.
Wynnum/Manly Yacht Club, bayside lifestyle, Manly rail station, Wynnum Hospital.
The suburb of Manly has remained a favourite with Brisbane residents for many years because of its bayside location and relaxed atmosphere. The suburb is located about 20km from the Brisbane CBD and is serviced by train, which takes about 35 minutes. Distance by car to the CBD is about 30 minutes along Wynnum Road -- longer in peak hour. A wide cross section of couples and families are being attracted by the extensive redevelopment around the waterfront precinct and the street-scaping around the Wynnum and Manly areas. With very little land left in close proximity to the waterfront, homebuyers wanting the bayside lifestyle are renovating older homes and cottages, which has contributed to median price growth in the area.
The Wynnum/Manly area is well serviced by commercial and retail precincts, which continue to thrive as the area gains popularity. Local shops and the Manly Village Shopping Centre provide Manly residents and visitors with a supermarket, bakery, butcher and chemist. The suburb is also well catered for with restaurants, cafes and bars. Weekends see the Manly Creative Markets held every Sunday morning down on the waters edge at Little Bayside Park. And every third Saturday of the month is Jan Power's Farmers & Fishermans markets. Little Bayside Park also hosts Movies In the Park during summer on Friday nights. Other events in Manly include the Halloween Street Party and Manly Harbour Festival.
There are plenty of public and private schools (six primary, two secondary, and six kindergartens) in the Wynnum / Manly area and a TAFE campus located at nearby Alexandra Hills. There is also a School of the Arts and municipal hall acting as the hub of local activities. The closest hospital is The Wynnum Hospital is located in Whites Road, Wynnum. Attracting homebuyers and visitors eager to make the most of the outdoor lifestyle, Manly has plenty of bike and walk ways, a community swimming pool and a seawater wading pool. With immediate access to Moreton Bay, Manly is a boat owner's dream with easy access to the Manly Boat Harbour and the coastguard. The area's yacht club attracts interest from people all over the region.
The Manly area may have been occupied by Mipirimm people. They lived a semi-nomadic lifestyle with several campsites within their area and adjacent islands. The coast and river provided abundant seafood. Pandanus, bangwall (fern root) and small mammals and birds were hunted, particularly the flying foxes on St Helena Island, where inter-tribal feasts and corroborees appear to have taken place.
As settlement grew the aborigines were confined to the coastal fringes, where agriculture was not possible and the good fishing and hunting meant they could survive. The area of the Manly Hotel, however was open ground where many aborigines still camped.
By the 1870s closer settlement around Brisbane was making this outskirts living impossible. The main destroyers of the Moreton Bay Aborigines were new diseases brought about though contact with the white population. Diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous decimated the indigenous population.
Three cedar cutters were blown off course from Sydney in 1823. They were wrecked on Moreton Island and, with the help of local aborigines, explored the coast and inland until they met up with John Oxley’s party. It appears likely that they crossed to the mainland at Emu Point and travelled north along a native path, much of which is now Tingal Road, to the top of Lytton Hill where they became the first white people to see the Brisbane River.
From 1824 to 1839, Moreton Bay was a penal colony and no free settlement was allowed, but in 1842 this restriction was lifted. The area was surveyed by James Warner in 1859 and the first land auction took place in 1860. Most of Manly was divided between two large landholdings -Wyvernleigh, owned by Thomas Jones, and Lota House, owned by William Duckett White.
In 1882, the first subdivision in the area took place, at Manly Beach Estate, which had been part of the Wyvernleigh Estate. In 1888, the estimated population of the Lytton to Lota district was 200 with 50 households. Further sales were held, and the opening of the railway line, in 1889, led to a surge in growth. It was a popular holiday spot, with many holiday homes, guesthouses and camping sites along the foreshore. Daytrippers, too, were common, catching the train down to walk along the grassy slopes of the beaches and stroll on the jetty or swim.
George Cooling sailed into Manly in an old boat around 1900. He lived in the boat until it fell apart, and he then lived near Manly State School. Later he bought a large block of land called Guiley’s Paddock on Whites Road. He made his living out of taking photographs of people from Capalaba to Cannon Hill. He built his own motorbike and sidecar and navigated through the often-perilous roads and cross-country on these. His nickname, ‘Dirty George’ came from his aversion to washing. He travelled around taking photographs, often in exchange for a meal, and he reportedly built an airplane out of scrap, which he flew into the top of a large tree.
Joe Curtis cultivated land at Belmont, where he grew vegetables. He would then deliver them to the few Manly and Lytton residents. He then moved to Stratton Terrace where he rented a small house with a store attached. As business succeeded, he bought the property and added a covered area as a tea garden for the day-trippers who flocked to Manly on the train. He also dealt in real estate and was at one time the Postmaster. He was considerably involved in town affairs, being the Chairman of the Wynnum Town Council in 1912 and the second Mayor of Wynnum Township two years later. He worked hard to establish a school in Manly, and was the School Committees first chairman in 1910. In 1922, he passed the business on to his son and retired to Mt Nebo for six years, until his death in 1928.
In 1841, William Duckett White migrated to Australia and bought land at Richmond, Victoria, which was flooded the next year. He later acquired a large cattle run called Beau Desert. In 1857 they moved to Eagle Farm and in 1860 he became one of the first land holders on the bay, when he acquired the land from southern Manly to Lota Creek. In 1861 he took a seat in the Legislative Council of Queensland Parliament. Lota House was completed in 1863. He died there in 1893.
Wynnum and Manly Showground was built in 1918. Working bees cleared and drained the land, which covered 25 acres. The first show held there took place the next year (although previously shows had been held in the Wynnum School of Arts building).
In 1920 the pavilion was built, where the present high school stands. There were dog rings and a grandstand for watching sports on the oval. Originally called Russell Park, after the then mayor of Wynnum, it was later renamed Memorial Park and an avenue of trees was built with little plaques to commemorate the areas war dead.
Manly Boat Harbour was constructed in 1958. Protective walls were built to the north and south and gradual dredging took place between them. The dredged soil was used to form the parks and parking areas that adjoin the harbour.
Lota House was completed in 1863 and is the oldest surviving home in the district. It was built for William Dukett White and he gave it to his wife Jane, who named it after her family home in Ireland. It is a two-storey building of plastered brick, with a slate roof and wide verandahs. It had its own stables and wells, fruit orchard and vegetable gardens, and paddocks for livestock as well as fields of grains stretching down to Lota Creek. Today the building is the Edwin Marsden Tooth Memorial Home, named after the philanthropist who bequeathed the funds to found it. .
The Great Wall of Manly is an interesting feature of the district. Falcon Street is built in such a steep area that a retaining wall was necessary to allow access to both sides of the street. Originally this was an embankment, but the width of this restricted traffic. The wall was built, during the Great Depression, using ‘relief work’ labourers. It is 7.31 metres high and 2.8 metres thick at the base. It is built from basalt from the Lytton quarry, packed in concrete and with the joints plastered in concrete plaster. At various places animals and faces have been moulded into the concrete pointing.
Reference: K. Harbison, BRISbites, 2000