Postcode: 4154 | Distance to Brisbane CBD: 10km
Gumdale is an established suburb of residential homes and acreage properties in the east of Brisbane, well-positioned near the bay to catch the breezes, close to quality schools, parks and a short drive to Westfield Carindale shopping mall. The Gateway Arterial is also nearby, providing ready access to the north and south coasts, and the airport for business travellers and visitors. The population of Gumdale declined by 9% between Census collections of 2006 and 2011, resulting from a decline in the popularity of acreage properties during the drought period. In more recent times, there have been several developments in the area with more regular size allotments.
The suburb is predominantly professional families, with the most common age group being children aged 0-14 years. Households in Gumdale are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between over $4000 per month on mortgage repayments. In 2011, 86% of the homes in Gumdale were owner-occupied. In 2016 43 properties were sold and the median sale price of houses in the suburb was $900,000. Capital growth of homes in the area has been 11.5% in the past 5 years.
Welcome to Gumdale
Originally named Mossdale, later Grassdale then finally Gumdale, this suburb is situated in Brisbane's east. It is a semi-rural area only a short drive away from the bayside suburbs of Lota in Brisbane and Thorneside in Redland City. There are a number of prestigious houses on acreage properties and the suburb has the best of both worlds with a country feel yet close to the sea. Facilities in the area include the Gumdale State School and a small shopping centre, Eastside Village at 696 New Cleveland Road.
Gumdale is roughly 10km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 59% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 28% are couples without children. Stand alone house account for 98% of all dwellings in this area. The most common allotment size in Gumdale is 2.5 acres, so there’s plenty of green space and natural environment to enjoy.
Eastside Shopping Village on New Cleveland Rd, Gumdale, near the intersection of Tilley Rd. There’s the Wynnum Road shopping area at Tingalpa, and Carindale Westfield on Old Cleveland Road is worth the trip if you’re after supermarkets and specialty shops under the one roof.
Keith says: Quiet mornings with just the birds calling - the mist floating on a neighbours dam - the two cows next door gossiping over the fence with our pony - A refuge just 20 minutes from work in the city - that's what I love about Gumdale.
13 km from CBD.
Located in the Koala Corridor, acreage lifestyle.
Approximately 30 minutes from Brisbane City, Gumdale is home to many families wanting an acreage lifestyle, surrounded by a natural environment. Two and a half acre blocks are the most common allotments in Gumdale and it looks likely to remain that way with no residential or commercial developments planned for the future. An expansive suburb, local amenities are accessed primarily by car as public transport in the area is difficult with no rail station and buses limited to the major arterial roads. Residents have excellent access to the Gateway Motorway and subsequently the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. Families with young children have access to Gumdale Primary School, which is complemented by primary and high schools in the surrounding suburbs.
Carindale Shopping Plaza and Capalaba Shopping Plaza offer major supermarket and retail outlets and supplement local stores in the area. Located in the Koala Corridor a lot of parkland in Gumdale has been marked for conservation limiting the number of bike and walkways in the parks. Gumdale looks set to continue its popularity with families looking for that little bit of extra space with the land in the area zoned for acreage only.
The hills and flats around Bulimba Creek were popular camping and hunting grounds for the Aborigines. In adjoining Belmont, there was a bora ring on Bulimba Creek and the springs near Mount Petrie were a popular camping ground.
After 1859, large parcels of land were sold on Brisbane's outskirts. Most of this district is believed to have been a large sheep property called 'Mossdale'. At one stage the Woosley family owned this. In 1885 'Grassdale Estate' was advertised in the Brisbane Courier as five and ten-acre [2.0 and 4.1-hectare] blocks between Old and New Cleveland roads, but sales were slow. By 1890 land had been cleared for grazing along Grassdale Road as far as New Cleveland Road. At the beginning of the century there were only one hundred voters and a bullock track running past the school. Some of the land was used to grow cotton by Scottish emigrants brought to Queensland by Dr Lang. Sugar cane was grown in the north of the district, near the old Edgell Factory.
Settlement increased after World War I and up to the depression in the 1930s. The growth in population led to improvements, including a bus service, better roads and a school. There was little money to spend on housing, so people lived in tents, or improvised houses from flour bags covered in concrete or from the large tins used for storing fruit at the jam factory. These were flattened out and used as shingles to build a waterproof home, with a dirt or ant bed floor. Water came from creeks and gullies and tanks provided the rest. In 1949 a school inspector reported that the area was still not fully settled and although a few residents raised poultry, most were working for wages, rather than farming.
Gumdale was originally known as Grassdale, after the grass trees (xanthorrhoea) that grew there. When a post office was to be opened in 1941, there was already a 'Grassdale' in South Australia. A poll of parents of school children produced an overwhelming vote for Gumdale as the new name. Gumdale is still primarily rural, with a population of just 935 people in 1996.
William Judd built the first house in the Formosa Road area in 1919. Much of this area was called the 'Willgrow Estate', despite the poor soil. It was a marketing ploy to attempt to attract people to the area. Judd rode to the area on his bike with his saw and axe balanced on the handlebars. He pitched a tent and began sawing timber for his house. It still stands, complete with the row of mango trees that was planted when the house was built. Within a few years he had 30,000 pineapples growing and a draught horse team to pull timber to Wynnum. The Judd's house became a focal point for the district, with dances held on the verandahs and card playing in the dining room. The only local shop was under the Judd house and the old cockatoo learned to mimic the cries of shoppers: 'are you there Mrs Judd?'. The Judds were prominent in all local activities, from petitioning for a school to building the Progress Hall.
George Cooling sailed into Manly around 1900 in an old boat that he lived on until it fell apart. He then lived near Manly State School until he bought a block of land at Whites Road. He made his living by taking photographs of people from Manly to Cannon Hill. He built his own motorbike and sidecar to navigate through the often perilous roads. His name, 'Dirty George', came from his aversion to washing. He travelled around taking photographs, often in exchange for a meal, and reportedly built an aeroplane out of scrap, which he flew into the top of a large tree.
Grassdale Country Club was built in 1966 by a group of people from Wynnum. They built swimming pools, tennis courts and putting nets on 6.5 hectares of land on Grassdale Road.
Not long after the school opened in 1935, it was felt that a public hall was necessary, so funds were raised and the Gumdale Progress Hall was built. It became the venue for all local activities. Dances were held on a Saturday night, when the local bus would collect the locals in their best clothes. Movies were screened; Sam Greene, of Wynnum's Star Theatre, would bring out the equipment and films. On Tuesday nights the Gumdale Pastime Association provided an activity for the local youth, with dances once a month when the girls made sandwiches and the boys boiled billies.
In the 1860s John Dawson opened up the land on Manly Road for sugar cane farming. He established a sugar mill and called the property 'Woondall'. John Hargreaves built the jam factory in 1892. It was built to make use of the water from a large spring that overflowed from its well into a lagoon. Many people from Wynnum, Manly, and districts were employed in the factory and many remember working at Hargreaves factory as children during the school holidays. It later became Hargreaves and Sons and in 1921 a limited liability company was formed. It also canned fruit and vegetables and these became the major output. The Hargreaves Family owned most of the shares until they sold out to the Whatmore family in 1936. Later the company was sold to Petersville and the name was changed to Edgell–Birds Eye in 1969. Simplott, an American company, bought the company and the factory closed in 1999.
Lota Creek flows into Moreton Bay/Tingalpa Creek at Lota and has developed on the alluvial plain there. Lota Creek is a small creek with a wide and diverse catchment area. Most of the area is primarily coastal or wetland, including extensive salt flat mangroves at the mouth of the creek. Some areas are still original bushland, however, most is grazing land or residential allotments. The creek is particularly important because it forms a corridor between Bulimba and Tingalpa creeks. Many wader and water birds frequent the area, as do other mammals and reptiles that were originally native to Brisbane but are now rare (ten species of frog, 173 of birds, fourteen of mammals and twenty of reptiles).
Old Cleveland Road was first shown as a line, probably representing blazed trees, on a sketch made by Alan Cunningham in 1829. In 1839 and 1841 James Warner surveyed Norman, Hilliard, and Tingalpa creeks and proposed (but did not draw) a possible route from Brisbane to Cleveland (Emu Point), although he did show the bridges and fords that crossed these creeks. In 1849 the decision was made to plan a town at Cleveland Point. In 1850 Warner presented his 'Survey of a practicable road from Brisbane in the County of Stanley to the proposed Town of Cleveland' and Old Cleveland Road became a road constrained by surveyors' pegs.
When the bridge was built across Norman Creek in 1856, the traffic to Cleveland tended to use that route hence Wynnum Road was known as Cleveland Road. An auction announcement in that year referred to Old Cleveland Road as 'High Cleveland Road'. The mail coach used this route from then until the railway went through in 1888. It was still a rough track in the 1860s, but by the twentieth century was a popular motorists' run down to the bay.
Gumdale State School began at a 1934 meeting, under a tree, between nine local people and the Minister for Education. At the time the nearest school was at Tingalpa. The youngest children learnt by correspondence and the older children left for school at 6.30 am. Grassdale State School was officially opened on August 24th, 1935, with the 26th being the first school day. The school was 21 feet by 24 feet (about 7m by 8m) and had 32 pupils. Mr Brown was the first headmaster and stayed there until 1957. By 1940 there were over 120 pupils and the infants teacher, with 39 children, worked on the verandah until a new classroom could be built. In 1952 a new room was moved from the Leichhardt Street School and after 1962 a new wing was added in three instalments.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000